Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dammit Doll

As the school year came to a close, I was trying to think of something to make for my kids' teachers. I decided to make them Dammit Dolls. For those of you not familiar with the Dammit Doll, it is an "ugly" doll that comes with the following poem:

Whenever things don't go so well...
And you want to hit the wall and yell...
Here's a little dammit doll
That you can't do without.
Just grasp it firmly by the legs
And find a place to slam it
And as you whack the stuffing out
Yell, "DAMMIT! DAMMIT! DAMMIT!"

I love Dammit Dolls -- a little naughty, a little ugly, very clever, and WAY cute. I found a poem for "Darn It Dolls", which is a little more fitting for school teachers. I attached the poem to each doll. Here's how they turned out:



Materials:
Enlarged gingerbread man shape for pattern.
Flannel or cotton fabric.
Buttons for eyes and belly button. It's better if they don't match.
Yarn for the hair
Fiber fill or something similar to stuff the doll with.

I used the same pattern for both dolls. For the one on the left, I sewed the two pieces of fabric right-sides together, clipped the curved edges, and then turned it right side out. For the one on the right, I sewed the two pieces of fabric wrong-sides together. I definitely prefer this style. So much easier to make.

There is really no "wrong" way to make a Dammit Doll. My kind of project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a lot to say? Here's your chance!